Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The smell of pain

I took my partner Nick in this morning for an oral surgery procedure, a tooth extraction, ouch. I am now sitting in the waiting room next to an older gentleman who seems (to say the least) a bit uncomfortable being here. I'm happy that Nick was usered right into the room where the surgery is to take place and I was there with him and the nurse until the doctor (who has a great sense of humor) arrived. Now I sit out here with this older gentleman and it got me thinking. While my focus is on a scent generator for use by realtors, this waiting area could use some aromatic assistance. The smell reminds me of having a tooth drilled, that combination of some anesthetic mixed with the smell of fresh gauze. I remember this smell from every dentist I have been to, and most doctors offices. I smell that odor, and hear the drill burrowing into my tooth feeling it hit that cavity - ouch, the pain...the smell of pain. John, that's the old guy sitting next to me, just got called by the nurse and reluctantly put down the magazine he was reading and slowly walked toward the door to the back, where the doctor was awaiting his arrival.

So...I have to ask myself why they don't go a bit further in the dentists waiting room than the low volume 80's musac piping in and the big poster of Bryce Canyon National Park they have on the wall showcased in the almost flickering glow of the in ceiling lighting, to comfort waiting victims, I mean patients? Just get that smell of pain out of the air, that would be a great first step. They could take this opportunity to create a soothing, comforting environment. A nice mellow vanilla, or light peppermint, even soothing lavender would reduce the stress level in here.

Could this effect clients in realtor offices as well? While they are not getting a tooth drilled, I have heard some liken the home buying experience to the dentist. Perhaps a welcoming, comforting aromatic environment in the office could enhance the shopping experience further for buyers, just as it could make the dentists office not so scary, if not welcoming.

No comments: