Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pet smart makes me happy - great vanilla welcome to store

I know the post title on this one is a bit cheesy, but I was serious about the title. I also know that I'm biased in my perception of a place like Petsmart since I find it a very enjoyable time to take my pup there with me when I can, it's a fun field trip for us both. Today I stopped in on my way home and realized the when going into Petsmart they have fragranced the foyer of the store with a nice vanilla aroma, using a wall mounted spray device.

While I am working to not push my way into retail space fragrancing with this blog, my experience in walking in the Petsmart brings out one major aspect of Scent Marketing for Realtors, first impressions are HUGE and count major points when making an impact with a potential customer. The potential customer, or home buyer, forms their impression of the shopping environment withing the first seconds of entering the space, and their sense of smell is their most impressionable sense. If a retail pet store smells good, they enter with a positive experience, if a home smells fresh and appealing when a potential buyer enters the home they have a comfort with the space, and enter with an initial positive impression. If on the other hand, in the case of the potential home buyer, they enter into a home, or realtor office, that smells bad, or one that has an inconsistent aromatic message, their first impression will be negative, and you will be entering the selling process fighting an uphill battle to change their impression of the space - often a battle that you will not be able to win. Through the development of a realtor specific, portable fragrance system I am creating a way to control the fragrance that is very easy, there is no reason why realtors, real estate office managers, and even home sellers, should not employ these techniques to help assure that they create a positive aromatic first impression and do not scare off a potential buyer in the first seconds they enter the home.

Uploaded by www.cellspin.net

No comments: